How to claim benefits

If you live in the United Kingdom and you meet certain eligibility criteria, you may be entitled to claim benefits. These benefits are designed to act as a safety net to offer support to people during difficult periods. The guide below is designed to offer some support for people who need to claim benefits. It is worth noting that some applicants may be signed up to the Universal Credit system, rather than obtaining individual benefits. This depends on the circumstances of the applicant and the area in which they live in the United Kingdom.

How To Claim Jobseekers Allowance?

Jobseekers Allowance (JSA) is a benefit which is designed to support people whilst they look for employment. In order to claim JSA, you must meet the eligibility criteria. An applicant must be; over 18 years of age, under the state pension age, live in England, Scotland or Wales, not in full-time education, be actively seeking work and be available to start work. Applicants must also have been living in the United Kingdom for three months prior to the application date.

In order to make a claim for JSA, you must fill in an online claims form. The claims form will ask certain questions about your past and present circumstances. As part of the application process, you may be required to submit certain documents to your local benefits department so that they can verify the information that you have provided. You are asked to submit these documents to prevent fraudulent claims. Once the application has been submitted, you will be contacted to make an appointment with an advisor at your local Jobcentre Plus. At this meeting, you will be asked to sign an agreement to look for work. If you fail to keep up with the terms of this agreement, your claim may be suspended.

How To Claim Housing Benefit?

You may be able to claim housing benefit to help to pay your rent. It is possible to claim housing benefit even if you are in work, as long as you meet other eligibility criteria. It is a means-tested benefit and you will not be eligible to make an application if you have savings of more than £16,000. You should contact your local council to check eligibility criteria and make an application.

If you are making a new claim for Housing benefit, you will be required to fill out a HCTB1 form. Your council may have paper copies of this form, but many councils now require applicants to submit their forms online.

You will be asked to provide certain documents to the council to validate the information that you have given on the claims form. You can also make a claim for housing benefit at the same time as making a new claim for Jobseekers Allowance, Income Support or Employment and Support Allowance (ESA). Jobcentre Plus should forward your claim straight to your local council. Housing benefit is normally paid in arrears. In some circumstances, it will be paid directly to your landlord.

How To Claim Council Tax Reduction?

Each local authority in the United Kingdom has its own council tax reduction scheme. If you wish to apply for a reduction in council tax, you are advised to speak to your local council to check their eligibility criteria.

Disability Benefits – Who Is Entitled?

Disability Living Allowance is a benefit which is now only available for new applicants under 16. It provides support to people who have incurred extra costs because of their disability. Applicants who are over 16 must now apply for Personal Independence Payments (PIP). To qualify for PIP, applicants must satisfy the Activity test and the Residence and Presence Test.

The Activity test assesses the applicant’s ability to perform certain everyday tasks, such as preparing food, dressing and undressing, and moving around. To satisfy the Residency and Presence Test, the applicant must be able to show that they currently live in the UK and have done so for two of the last three years.

Back To Work Benefits

If you are moving back into work, you may still be able to claim some benefits. The benefits department is keen to acknowledge that most new employees do not get paid straight away. You may be entitled to 4 weeks run on of any housing benefit or council tax support. Jobcentre Plus may also be able to make discretionary payments. The Access to Work Scheme can help disabled applicants to get back to work by making it easier for them to cope with their disability in the workplace.

If you need any further help or advice about the benefits that you may be entitled to, you are advised to speak to the benefits department at your local council. Citizen’s Advice is also an excellent organisation to talk to about the benefits system in the United Kingdom.

error: Content is protected !!

By continuing to use the site, you agree to the use of cookies. more information

The cookie settings on this website are set to "allow cookies" to give you the best browsing experience possible. If you continue to use this website without changing your cookie settings or you click "Accept" below then you are consenting to this.